Re: FC4, inaccessibility of core system utilities?

On 11 Aug 2005, at 19:59, Al Puzzuoli wrote:

My questions are:
1. Are most of the effected applications specific to the fedora distribution or just part of Gnome in general?

I wouldn't say it's completely unique to Fedora, but as a community- based distro I guess it might be a bit more affected. There have been no gtk1 apps in the 'official' community release of GNOME for years, nor are there any in the core packages of distros like JDS, SuSE or Ubuntu, as far as I'm aware.

It's highly unlikely that anyone is actively writing new gtk1 apps for inclusion in modern distros-- usually they persist because the maintainer sees no reason to bother porting to gtk2, or because it would be too much effort, or because there is no maintainer at all any more. All you can do really is pester the maintainer or try to generate enough interest for somebody else to do the work, if you're not able to do it yourself.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team