Re: braille initialization problem

Jan Buchal, le Thu 21 Apr 2005 15:47:50 +0200, a dit :

>     ST> Hum, at last I got my mails being sent right... Jan Buchal, le
>     ST> Wed 20 Apr 2005 20:34:38 +0200, a dit :
>     >> No, it is not my problem. My Debian has 6 consoles only and X
>     >> runs sure on 7th console. I set the CONTROLVT variable on value
>     >> '7' but brltty run still on console where I started X.
>
>     ST> How to you run X ? If you run startx, then the CONTROLVT
>     ST> variable should be set (before any gnome stuff) in .xinitrc, not
>     ST> .xsession.
>
> Why not?

Because startx reads .xinitrc, not .xsession.

> This variable is exported before the line gnome-session. In any case I
> tried put this in to .xinitrc and with same result. I mean gnopernicus
> with X run on console 7 and braille on console where i started X with
> startx.

Oh, actually 3.6.1 is a bit too old indeed: it would indeed not read the
environment variable since the program itself was launched from some VT.
In more recent versions this was corrected.

> I am not sure that I was not wrong while compilation of gnopernicus. I
> used ttybrl.c which sent me Mr. Hitt, see bellow.

Yes, it is correct.

I don't know when Dave will release a 3.7 version, but in the meanwhile,
you may dirty-patch ttybrl.c: replace line
    if (brlapi_getTty (VT, BRLCOMMANDS) == -1)
with
    if (brlapi_getTty (7, BRLCOMMANDS) == -1)
or even
    if (brlapi_getTty (atoi(getenv("CONTROLVT")), BRLCOMMANDS) == -1)
so that it will get the CONTROLVT value (but without checking its
presence).

Regards,
Samuel Thibault