[gnome-speech] -- locale question

I have a doubt regarding locale. You could observe this using test-speech program that comes with gnome-speech.

When I pass language as "en" on Sun Desktop system machine, getVoices API (test-speech) returns the voices (like kevin/kal etc.), but on pasing same "en"
for Fedora core 3, I dont get any voices and have to pass exact "en_US" to get the voices.

Is there some settings/environment issue that is leading to this odd behavior?

Aditya Kumar Pandey