Re: Gnopernicus not working on fresh ubuntu install

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 04:34:27AM EST, Bram Duvigneau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed an ubuntu system for one of my friends who would
> like to play with gnopernicus. Because I haven't downloade an iso of
> the hoary release, I installed from a worthy cd and upgraded to hoary.
> After this, I've installed festival, gnopernicus and esound-clients.
> I've enabled accessibility support by setting the correct gconf-key.
> Then I ran esddsp festival --server to let the sounds of the desktop
> and festival co-operate well. I started gnopernicus with gnopernicus
> -s, but it just didn't speak. I got the gnopernicus window, but
> festival just kept silent. Any ideas about this  behavior?

I would try disabling the use of esd and desktop sounds in System ->
Desktop Preferences -> Sound. It can be found in the general tab, which
is the selected tab on loading the sound control panel.

As previously mentioned, gnome-speech starts Festival, so it is advised
to have festival not running before attempting to load gnopernicus.

if you are still having problems, I have a good idea of what is
happening. please email me if you need further assistance and I will
guide you through a possible fix.

I am an Ubuntu user also, so feel free to ask me if you have more
questions. The same goes to everybody else on the list.

Luke