Re: Removing gthtml2 (was Proposed modules for 2.10 wanted NOW)

>>>Please DONT do this; if you use the gecko component, the help system
>>>become inaccessible.
>>

>> 	Its an unfortunate regression in accessibility given the amount of work
>> done on gtkhtml2 accessibility, but you would agree that its the way
>> forward, right? You would agree that maintaining one less html renderer
>> (and the accessibility support therein) is good, right?
>
> Only when the remaining html renderer is substantially accessible.  That
> is not yet the case, and I don't see a committment in the GNOME
> community to make sure this happens for 2.10.  The existing GNOME
> accessibility team CANNOT make this committment, as we have our hands
> more than full already, without shouldering all of the regressions that
> take place as part of GNOME's "progress".
[snip]
> If help is inaccessible, the whole desktop is useless from an
> accessibility point of view.  It's already true that some users will
> chose web browsers other than the 'GNOME' one, i.e. Mozilla/Firefox or
> even Links/Lynx instead of Epiphany.
>
> If GNOME help regresses this much with respect to accessibility, I for
> one would not be willing to make any real claims for GNOME desktop
> accessibility at all.  This is a very serious regression for
> accessibility indeed.

I do agree that this is a bad regression, albeit it one that was not
intended. You can replce the browser, but it's probably not easy to
replace the help browser.

However, this is the maintainer's call. Maybe he will decide to revert the
change, or make it a configure-time choice. It's remotely possible that
the release-team could refuse to put the new yelp version in the GNOME
2.10 release, but that would be quite extreme.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com