Re: changing keyboard shortcuts with the keyboard?

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 17:23, Jacob Schmude wrote:
> Hi all
> 	I have gnome 2.6 on a Fedora Core 2 installation here. My
> keyboard has multimedia keys that I want to use, and to do this it
> appears I have to use the gnome keyboard shortcuts control applet. Only
> problem is, I can't figure out how to change a shortcut using only the
> keyboard. Can this be done?

Yes, it should be possible.  The sequence from the time you open the
dialog is:

- Hit Tab twice to focus the list of shortcuts
- Hit down arrow until you get into the "Sound" section (about 15 items
down, on my desktop)
- Hit right arrow to focus the current shortcut column (I suspect this
is the part you're missing-- it's non-obvious even for sighted users
that you have to click in the right column rather than anywhere in the
row, and I think there's a bug open about it)
- Press the shortcut button you want, or Backspace to set no shortcut or
unset an existing one.

As an aside, it's worth noting that in general this dialog won't always
let you assign the same multimedia keys that will work happily under
Windows anyway... I forget why, but I recall seeing comments from the
author to the effect that there's not a lot he can do about that right
now.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group