Re: hardware synthesisers.

Shaun Oliver said:

just on that,
could speech-dispatcher not be used as an interface for gnopernicus and the various synthesisers? as opposed to writing a complete driver subset for gnopernicus itself?
Actually, this is what gnome-speech already does; gnopernicus doesn't contain any speech-driver-specific code. gnome-speech provides a uniform interface for speech clients (as does speech-dispatcher, which came later).

It would not require any extension to gnome-speech to support hardware synthesizers, it would only require writing the appropriate drivers; in fact I believe that Marc had a gnome-speech hardware driver lying about at one time, but there may have been technical issues with it. The primary challenge is the need to support "end of speech" notification from such a driver; I am not familiar enough with the existing hardware to know how feasible that would be.

regards

Bill

Mind you, that might be a major undertaking in itself.
in any event, hardware synth support would be a great plus and like janina said we're in the minority but, why throw the things away if we can still get good use out of them anywhere we can within our computing lives.