Re: Bug filing, and different application toolkits

Hi:

I'd like to make two quick comments. Firstly, thanks a lot to Peter for providing the links to the bugzilla bug filing and tracking system (and issuezilla for StarOffice/OpenOffice issues); thanks also for the links to the bug HOWTO which is key to making the most of your bug reports. I really would like to second what he said about the importance of these bug reports, and encourage everyone currently using or planning to use gnopernicus, gok, and the GNOME desktop to read his detailed post carefully as time permits.

The list discussion about general impressions, features, and requests for enhancement is very helpful to us. But we agree that stability issues are fundamental, and when it comes to misbehaviors that are clearly bugs and errors, nothing beats a good bug report for finding and fixing these problems.

Your input, particularly in the form of bugzilla reports, is a key part of our efforts to improve and bring to completion our assistive technology and AT support work. Of course the work is never really "complete", because neither users nor technology stand still, but in the free-software and open-source world particularly, your participation is a key part of the process. Thanks in advance to everyone!

Secondly, and slightly off-topic: as Peter points out, our accessibility support is fundamentally different in that it's "built in" to the GNOME desktop and related accessible applications; KDE has committed to integrating support into their own toolkit in upcoming versions as well, in a sort of "retrofit". This will bring the list of interoperable toolkits to a list including gtk+2, Java-Swing, and the internal toolkits used by Open/StarOffice and Mozilla. In contrast to Windows, where the vast majority of applications are built on top of the same GUI libraries, the Linux and Unix world has always been more heterogeneous; the need to bridge between these different toolkits has been a fundamental consideration in the design of our accessibility architecture.

But not all applications are based on one of the toolkits which have adopted/implemented our architecture, as of this date. Integrating accessibility support into a new toolkit is a major committment which individual application authors are rarely prepared to make, and there's no easy solution due to the richness and breadth required of comprehensive accessibility support. In most cases, a port to GTK+2, or use of an alternative application which is already based on one of the AT-SPI-implementing toolkits, is more expedient. As I believe Peter has suggested, one of our goals is to encourage the future GUI toolkits which will no doubt emerge, to incorporate the necessary accessibility support from the outset, so that the problem of "inaccessible toolkits" becomes a thing of the past.

The XMMS application which was mentioned in an earlier email doesn't use gtk+ or Qt, I believe it's a "pure X" application which means that it is not feasible to make it fully accessible without a rewrite or "port".

best regards,

Bill