Re: more on gnopernicus-0.7.1

Hi Mario,

You mentioned you can not do much with Gnopernicus 0.7.1. There are quite a
few things you can use gnopernicus for, and there are many things you can
not do with gnopernicus yet.

1. If you get and setup the java access bridge, and openoffice 1.1.1 from
openoffice.org
you will be able to get some use out of openoffice.

What does I have to do to receive an accessibility enabled OpenOffice.org?
Does I have to recompile it or how do I setup the java access bridge?
ATM I use Debian GNU/Linux unstable with gnopernicus 0.7.1 and GNOME 2.4.0.
Perhaps I'll try GNOME 2.6 with gnopernicus 0.8.4 from experimental.

I'm not sure where this is fully documented (alas)... It probably belongs in the Accessibility Guide for GNOME. You need to modify the accessibility.properties file of your Sun JRE/JDK (see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/access/properties.html) and also ensure your JRE can find the GNOME-Java bridge. The easiest ways to do this are to make two symbolic links:

 ln -s <path-gnome>/gnome-2.6/share/jar/accessibility.properties \
  <path-java>/jre/lib/accessibility.properties

and

 ln -s <path-gnome>/gnome-2.6/share/jar/gnome-java-bridge.jar \
  <path-java>/jre/lib/ext/gnome-java-bridge.jar

Then you need to re-install StarOffice, and assuming your Sun Java is installed in the proper place, it will find it, see that it is configured to support accessibility, and will automatically use it and speak through installation. Alternately, the program `jvmsetup` (findable on many systems in /usr/staroffice7/program) will re-configure StarOffice to use a specific JVM of your choosing. Alas if StarOffice isn't configured to be accessible, this program won't be accessible either. I'm afraid I don't recall the StarOffice configuration files that this GUI program modifies...

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team