Gnopernicus and Dectalk

I've built gnome from garnome.  I'm using:
dectalk runtime 5,
gnome-speech 0.3.3,
gnopernicus 0.9.6

I've set all the standard environment vars plus:
     GDK_USE_XFT=1
GTK_MODULES='gail:atk-bridge'
     XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share # from the garnome startup script

The problem I'm having is that everything runs fine  for about 10 minutes, then something freezes. I can't tell what, because I lose
speech. I need to go back to my windows machine, and using my SSH connection kill gnome_session, dectalk, gnopernicus, etc.

How can I figure out what is happening?  Has anyone seen this behavior before?

* start menu
gnopernicus reads the start menu (alt+f1) strangely. Sometimes, when pressing down or up arrows, there is a 1 second pause and
gnopernicus says "show tooltip" and then eventually gets around to reading the menu item. Other times it just reads the item right
off.  SOmetimes, it reads a menu item, and then re-reads it after a press of the up/down arrow.

* mozilla
I built the version 1.7b, but it does not work with gnopernicus.  At one point, I got it to read menus with shift+f10, but now it
won't even do that.

* switching synthesizers
How can I switch synthesizers. I have the festival rpm installed and want to try it out and see if the lockup still happens.  There
is no obvious way within gnopernicus to do this.

Thanx in advance. Sorry if these questions have been answered before. I'm just not having much luck with gnome. Have rebuilt the
entire system several times with no better results.