Re: GOK and touchscreen

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Bill Haneman wrote:

> I think you don't want to use the normal mouse pointer for running GOK,
> it's strongly discouraged since there are known conflicts with gtk+ and
> other toolkits.  You want to use the additional pointer.

I didn't know that...  but I didn't notice any conflict new I run GOK with
only the mouse (and in this case I didn't see the GOK's pointer, should
I?).

>  From your description, it sounds as though there are two problems with
> your setup.  One, if the "additional pointer" moves about when the
> normal mouse is moved, then something is odd about your XInput
> configuration, since the cross pointer in GOK only moves in response to
> non-core XInput events.  Perhaps a closer look at your XF86Config file
> will turn up a problem.

My distribution is a Fedora Core 2. I tried to look into the xorg.conf
(this is the name of the Fedora's X11 configuration file) but I didn't see
anything strange (probably because I don't know where to look). Here are
the important sections:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "TKPANEL" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

## TouchKit section begin (Please do NOT edit this section!!) ##
        Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier  "TKPANEL"
                Driver      "touchkit"
                Option      "Device"        "/dev/tkdat0"
                Option      "DebugLevel"    "0"
        EndSection
## TouchKit section end ##

The TKPANEL is the touchscreen. All these lines were added automatically
by the touchscreen driver installation program (I think, anyway, I didn't
add them). BTW, I don't know if it is important but the touchscreen is a
Lilliput 7'' LCD and for the driver I'm using the Fedora Core 2 driver
from http://www.egalax.com.tw/Download.htm.

> Secondly, the reversed direction of vertical motion suggests that your
> XInput driver for the touchscreen reports vertical motion in the
> opposite sense from a normal mouse driver.
>
> You'll get best results if you can fix your configuration so that the
> "core" mouse doesn't send additional XInput events (this may be a driver
> problem with your system, I have not encountered this problem before),
> and if you use the touchscreen's XInput events to drive the cross pointer.
>
> Note that the sensitivity of the cross pointer can be controlled from
> GOK's user interface, in the "valuator sensitivity" section of the
> Actions page in the GOK settings dialog.  This may help make the
> crosshair pointer easier to control.
>
> In any case, the right fix is to debug the driver issues you are having
> and patch GOK accordingly.  Trying to remove the cross pointer and
> control GOK via the core mouse will only lead to more serious problems.
> I'd be happy to try and help you debug the issues you are seeing with
> your usb touchscreen, but I don't have access to one myself.

Thank you very much, now I'm waiting for a VGA and USB extension cable and
I cannot use the touchscreen... as soon as the LCD becomes operative again
I will start digging into the problem.

Thanks again and Best Regards, Fabrizio.