Re: GOK and touchscreen

Fabrizio said, about GOK and his touchscreen:

Hi All, I have a LCD touchscreen which uses the usb touchkit module. The
touchscreen works fine but I have a strange behavior of GOK (Gnome
On-screen Keyboard):

-if the touchscreen is disabled (unplug the USB cable and plug in the
normal PS2 mouse) then everything is fine

-if I plug in the touchscreen (leaving or not the normal mouse doesn't
make any difference) in GOK appears a small crossed pointer (in addition
to the usual Gnome mouse pointer) that always stays inside the GOK windows
and that moves in coordination with the movements of the Gnome mouse
pointer (but the vertical movement is reversed. I mean, if I move up with
the mouse (or on the touch screen) then that crossed pointer move down and
viceversa.  The horizontal movement instead is not reversed).

My question is: How can I disable that additional pointer? (because that
crossed pointer is really difficult to control, it is much more easy to
use directly the Gnome mouse pointer through the touchscreen as a normal
mouse).
I think you don't want to use the normal mouse pointer for running GOK, it's strongly discouraged since there are known conflicts with gtk+ and other toolkits. You want to use the additional pointer.

From your description, it sounds as though there are two problems with your setup. One, if the "additional pointer" moves about when the normal mouse is moved, then something is odd about your XInput configuration, since the cross pointer in GOK only moves in response to non-core XInput events. Perhaps a closer look at your XF86Config file will turn up a problem.

Secondly, the reversed direction of vertical motion suggests that your XInput driver for the touchscreen reports vertical motion in the opposite sense from a normal mouse driver.

You'll get best results if you can fix your configuration so that the "core" mouse doesn't send additional XInput events (this may be a driver problem with your system, I have not encountered this problem before), and if you use the touchscreen's XInput events to drive the cross pointer. Note that the sensitivity of the cross pointer can be controlled from GOK's user interface, in the "valuator sensitivity" section of the Actions page in the GOK settings dialog. This may help make the crosshair pointer easier to control.

In any case, the right fix is to debug the driver issues you are having and patch GOK accordingly. Trying to remove the cross pointer and control GOK via the core mouse will only lead to more serious problems. I'd be happy to try and help you debug the issues you are seeing with your usb touchscreen, but I don't have access to one myself.

best regards,

- Bill

Thanks and Best Regards, Fabrizio.