Re: 2.6 proposed module: dasher

Le lun 12/01/2004 à 19:10, Bill Haneman a écrit :
> Frederic Crozat wrote:

> >>I find it surprising!
> >>
> >>I thought all the email to date on Dasher was positive; the i18n issues
> >>are sorted,
> >>it exports almost no strings, and it adds considerable new functionality to
> >>the GNOME desktop.  It's also now in GNOME CVS.  Matthew has done a lot
> >>of work to make it not only more GNOME-friendly, but GNOME-integrated.
> >>
> >>So what's the issue here?
> >>

> >Mainly, there is no documentation and no way to understand how to use
> >it..
> >
> >When I packaged it for Mdk, I ran dasher executable and I wasn't able to
> >understand anything to it :((
> >
> Hmm.. did you check the project homepage or README?

README is clearly useless.. It only gives you the command line for
configure.. I've re-read dasher manpage and this time, I understood it
better.

For me, if a program needs you to go to a website to get you on tracks,
then something is wrong..

> This ought to be pretty fixable, as there is _lots_ of documentation at
> http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/
> (the dasher homepage).  If it's just a matter of migrating some docs to
> XML/Docbook then I don't see why this can't be done very soon.

I've just had a quick look at dasher homepage and I agree it is much
valuable.. Now, I better understand why this program is great..

Maybe adding a GTK input method in dasher (like gucharmap) would help
people discovering it..

Anyway, I withdraw my objections..

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
Mandrakesoft