Re: Gnome Magnifier

Hi Shawn:

I am having a problem with Gnome Magnifier.  I have it installed from RPM on
Fedora Core 1.
What application do you mean? Do you mean 'gnopernicus', i.e. "screen reader and magnifier" from the applications->accessibility menu? Or are you running gnome-mag's "magnifier" binary
from the command-line, in standalone mode?

I am having problems getting it to not magnify the magnified part of the
screen.
In order to see fullscreen magnification, you must have two "framebuffers." In "half screen" mode, you cannot use the whole screen since some area must be available
for applications to draw into.

You can do this if you have two separate physical framebuffers (hardware and/or memory dedicated to displaying images) or if you have a virtual framebuffer (work-in-progress, not generally available yet). Many modern graphics cards can be configured to support two simultaneous framebuffers, but it is not particularly easy to do. But if you have two graphics cards you will have two framebuffers. This is like having two "heads" (physical displays) except that one framebuffer
is not connected to a monitor.

In order to see fullscreen magnification, you configure the magnifier (either the standalone binary or gnopernicus) to use one 'screen' as the "source display" and the other as the "target display". The displays/screens use a numbering system (this is an XWindows convention) thus:
<hostname>:<server_number>.<screen_number>
so if you have two screens on your xserver, they might be called

myhost:0.0 and myhost:0.1

note that if you are using your local host's X Server (which is the usual case), you need
not specify the hostname.

At this time, gnopernicus makes no attempt to prevent the magnifier's source and target areas from overlapping, which does result in magnification of the already-magnified area if, for instance, your 'source' mouse pointer moves into the magnified region itself.

Configuring your system to use two framebuffers/"X screens" will give you a way
around this problem.

regards

Bill

Two questions:

1. How do I get it to use the whole screen for the magnified image?

2. How do I get it not to magnify the already magnified image?

Shawn Djernes