Re: Desktop speech configuration

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:11:36AM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> I'd suggest that there is also a use for people of normal physical
> ability who wish to use speech feedback as an enhanced/supplementary
> feedback mechanism- i.e., 'you've got mail' type notifications, or
> having something read a text file to me while I'm cooking. But, ATM,
> anything like that is impossible to set up (as far as I can see.)

I'd suggest that the right way of doing things for the "average" desktop
user would be to have a speech control panel that would allow default
parameters for gnome-speech to be set - then we just need gnome-speech
to use them :) Applications such as Gnopernicus ought to be able to
override these settings themselves, but even Dasher ought to be happy
enough using system-wide settings.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org