Re: Desktop speech configuration

Matthew Garrett <mjg59-gal srcf ucam org> writes:

> Currently configuration for (1) is dealt with entirely within
> Gnopernicus - presumably the idea is that someone who falls within the
> catagories that require (1) will be using Gnopernicus for all of their
> speech needs.

This is the idealistic idea, however, I think we are a long
way away from that.  I know of no gnopernicus user today
who has stopped using the well-established console access methods,
and switched to gnopernicus completely.  Many people say they can imagine
using Gnopernicus for certain tasks, but I have heard of no
one yet who plans to use Gnopernicus for all his accessibility needs.
This might be a little different in the low-vision world, but
at least the fully blind people will continue to use text-consoles
for a lot of things, for a long time.

Seen from that perspective, it makes sense to configure
Gnopernicus related speech settings in Gnopernicus itself,
since some GNOME-wide settings wouldn't be able to affect other
screen reading programs like speakup, yasr, screader or emacspeak anyway.

--
CYa,
  Mario