Re: building gnome

Hi Igor,

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 14:02, Igor Gueths wrote:
> Hi there. I get the following when I run ./configure in the ATK directory
> with no options passed to the script.
>
> checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
> checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
> yes
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
> checking for Win32... no
> checking for aclocal flags...
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> *** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
> *** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
> *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if
> that
> *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
> although
> *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> configure: error:
> *** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
> *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. If GLIB is installed
> *** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the location of the
> file
> *** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH is currently set to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. And the file
> glib-2.0.pc is present in that directory. Am I missing something here? And
> yes I did ./configure, make, and make install to install glib.

OK, I suspected this might be the problem. We have some discussion about
this on this list previously (a couple of weeks ago, or so).

Did you do something like

        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

before running the configure script for atk? That is what the error
message is suggesting above -- you need to give some hints to the linker
about where to find the library.

I realise you originally said you had pointed ld to the glib library
files, but I am not exactly sure what you mean by this.

If you are absolutely positive you have set the library paths and
everything correctly, you can avoid this test in configure altogether by
passing the '--disable-glibtest' option to configure. However, I would
advise against this, since the test is basically a sanity check and
seems to be detecting some kind of real problem with your current setup.

Assuming you have set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, could you attach the output of
the 'env' command and the config.log file to your next piece of mail and
we'll see if we can get further.

Cheers,
Malcolm