Re: Gnopernicus on RH9 - very fast speech

Hi, Rich.
First, off I might make a guess as to why  your desktop is
operating so slow, and very porely. I am running a Mandrake 9.2 system with
Gnome 2.4.0 on a 2.0 GHZ processor with none of the problems you described
below. I suspect processor power/speed greatly effects how quickly you can
move to controls on the desktop. so it really isn't the gnome technology,
but that your system doesn't have enough processing power to proform the
requested actions quickly enough. That's my guess anyway.
Second, the layer 8 on the keypad doesn't set individual voices, but sets
global values. I suspect everything is out of sink do to the fact  that you
attempted to set the individual voices rate etc from with in gnopernicus
without  forcing the changes to take effect on other voices which you have
to do to get global voice changes.
One possible solution is to delete your .gnome2 directory, and reconfigure
gnopernicus from scratch.
Another possibility is to go back into the gnopernicus speech preferences
and fix the voices that were out of sink with the other voices.
Sadly, the gnome documentation doesn't go into much indepth on issues like
this, and you really need to know how to under stand how to do global voice
changes etc in order to avoid having every voice speaking different rates
etc.
One of the things I do right off the bat is  when gnopernicus starts for the
first time I go to kpd layer-8 and set the voice settings globally to make
it usable.
I rarely need to set the voices in the preferences unless i am changing to a
different speech synth, or wishing to have a different voice pop up at a
specific time etc.
Hth.