Re: I didn't think you could crash Linux like that!

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 08:38, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Adam,
>
> I'm glad you were able to continue through a serial port. Just a few hours
> ago my Linux locked up because I pressed a wrong kex combination. Again I
> had to hit the panic (reset) button. Where's Linux's vaunted stability?

The X server, because it does deep video stuff, must speak at very low
levels to the kernel and hence can lock up the machine- there is little
to no way for the kernel to make that more stable. Obviously, the X
server should also have rock-solid robustness, but I dare say that you
all are doing things to the X servers that in many cases have never
actually been tested before, so you're bound to run into edge cases.

If you can repeatably hang your X server with a specific key combo or
something like that in gnopernicus, I strongly recommend filing bugs at
http://bugs.xfree86.org/.

Good luck-
Luis