Re: Adding ATs to the menus

Calum sez:

> Ok, so as you know, we're hoping GOK and Gnopernicus are going to make
> it into GNOME 2.4.  Even if they don't, we need to figure this one out
> anyway :)
>
> GNOME applications generally add themselves to the Applications menu.
> Assuming that's a reasonable thing to do for ATs[1], we have three items
> to add: "Magnifier", "On-Screen Keyboard" and "Screenreader".  Which
> gives us two choices:
>
> - Add them to one of the existing Applications categories
> ("Accessories"?)
>
> - Add a new Accessibility sub-menu, which would be more consistent with
> the Accessibility preferences sub-menu (and which will soon have more
> than one item in it, you'll all be pleased to hear!)
>
> Of those two, what would be peoples' preferred solution?
>
> With regard to the second alternative, I remember there was some unease
> when we added the Accessibility preferences sub-menu, partly because it
> only had one item it at the time, and partly because it appeared right
> at the top of the list-- as would the Accessibility applications
> sub-menu.  I think Bill's said in the past he'd be happy to call these
> menus "Universal Access" or something instead, though, so that's always
> something we can consider if that turned out to be the only
> objection[2].

What's wrong with having the Accessibility menu item first in the Applications
menu? I think that is the right place for the accessibility users to spot the
very menu item that they need before doing anything else in the desktop. That
location does no harm to all the other users, and assists the accessibility
users.

Pat