gnopernicus - no speech

Hello,
I can start a gnome-session, gnopernicus comes up but no welcome message.
I'm trying to run FreeTTS.  I removed the viavoice server hoping that
gnopernicus wouldn't attempt to use viavoice.  freetts works under
test-speech.  Below are the messages I'm getting frojm SRCore:

* SCREEN READER CORE *
**********************

Bonobo accessibility support initialized
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
Atk Accessibilty bridge initialized

(srcore:286): GConf-WARNING **: Client received notify for unknown
connection ID
 973078574

** (srcore:286): WARNING **: Ignoring incoming code_sets component
gnopernicus-Message: speech initialization succeded

(srcore:286): gnopernicus-WARNING **: Exception "Unknown CORBA exception
id: 'ID
L:omg.org/CORBA/NO_IMPLEMENT:1.0'" occured at line 429.

(srcore:286): gnopernicus-WARNING **: Exception "Unknown CORBA exception
id: 'ID
L:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'" occured at line 483.

waiting for X server to shut down ICE default IO error handler doing an
exit(),
pid = 275, errno = 0

The two gnopernicus warnings after the "speech initialization succeded"
message may be from exiting the gnome-session.

Any ideas appreciated.

Chris