Re: More questions about building Gnopernicus

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:10:21PM -0500, Adam Myrow wrote:
> I am pretty sure I have all the right tools, but still can't get any
> further with building Gnopernicus.  I noticed an error that I missed
> before.  Both when running autogen.sh for gnome-common and gnome-speech, I
> get warnings like:
> configure.in: 46: required file `./ltconfig' not found
> I missed that before because it scrolls off the screen.

What version of libtool are you using?

> When trying to
> configure gnome-speech, it bombs with these errors:
> configure: error: Library requirements (bonobo-activation-2.0 >= 0.9.1
> libbonobo-2.0 >= 1.97.0 ORBit-2.0 >= 2.3.94) not met; consider adjusting
> the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a
> nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
> So, what am I missing now?  This is what I was writing about the other day
> where it's looking for Gnome 2.0 instead of Gnome 2.2.

Firstly, to clear something up: it is _not_ looking for GNOME 2.0. It is
looking for libraries with a -2.0 suffix, which means they are typically
in the GNOME 2.x series of releases, but really just means that they are
incompatible with earlier versions of the libraries. Note that you also
have packages whose pkg-config file is called something like
libwnck-1.0, although this package only existed in GNOME 2.

Secondly, what was the line just before this error message? It will have
complained about the specific library that it could not find.
Alternatively, you can track down which one is missing manually by
running

	pkg-config --modversion bonobo-activation-2.0

and checking that the returned version is at least 0.9.1. Then run the
same command for libbonobo-2.0 and so on. If you get an error returned
that says "No package .... found" (where "..." is the package), then
your platform installation is incomplete. If you get a version number
that is too low, then your platform installation is too old and you need
to upgrade that particular package. Due to the ABI compatibility
guarantees that GNOME makes for the 2.x release series, you should be able
to upgrade individual packages independently and they will work.

If you can work out exactly which package was causing the pkg-config
check to fail, you should be on your way to solving your problem.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?