Re: Configuring Gnopernicus for Braille Output

Hi John:

I'm delighted your GARNOME build went well.  We may call on you to help
diagnose other folks' GARNOME problems :-)

As for gnopernicus braille: as long as you have terminal access to the
system running GNOME (with the right $PATH set up), there is a
command-line interface to the GNOME configuration system ("gconf") which
you can use.  Gnopernicus uses gconf to store its settings, so you can
manually turn on braille (and turn off speech if you like).

The command-line tool is "gconftool-2", you can get a verbose help
screen from "gconftool-2 --help" or something shorter from "gconftool-2
--usage".

Adi is the expert in gnopernicus gconf keys but I believe the ones you
want are:

[turn on braille]
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/gnopernicus/srcore/br_active true

[optionally, turn off speech and "braille monitor" display for sighted
users]
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/gnopernicus/srcore/bm_active false
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/gnopernicus/srcore/sp_active false

[tell gnopernicus to use ALVA380 - I don't see 370 listed]
gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnopernicus/braille/device ALVA380

I think gnopernicus defaults to serial port '1', perhaps Adi can tell
you if you need to change a setting for the serial port.  You can run
"gconftool-2 --get ...." with the appropriate keys (you don't need the
"--type" parameter for the GET command), to make sure the gconf key got
set correctly.

I haven't tried this directly since I don't have an ALVA display (and
couldn't confirm that the output was correct anyway ;-)

I hope this helps,

Bill