Re: Dependency problems.

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:17:53PM -0400, Thomas D. Ward wrote:

> Hello, list. I have been trying all day to compile gnopernicus from cvs,
> and am running into several dependency issues.
> I've got a system running Red Hat 9.0 with gnome 2.2.1, and it
> seams gnopernicus is no longer compatible with gnome 2.2.
> I'm getting library dependancy arrors about gtk+ and cspi.
> My version of gtk+ I believe is 1.2.25 and configure is telling me I need
> 1.3.

I doubt this is correct. If you are running Red Hat 9 (no ".0", by the
way) then you will have something from the 2.2 version of GTK+. Try
running this command

	pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0

The output should be something like "2.2.1", which is the version of
GTK+ you have installed.

> I don't seam to have cspi on my system, and a search of the Red
> Hat
> cd's didn't turn up an rpm for cspi 1.6 or any version.

The cspi library is part of the at-spi package. An rpm exists for that
in Red Hat 9. Try the above pkg-config command with the "gtk+-2.0" bit
replaced by "cspi-1.0" to see what version of cspi is installed if you
have the at-spi rpm installed.

According to the gnopernicus build files, it requires a version of cspi
greater than 1.1.6, which is pretty old. So I suspect Red Hat 9 should
have something recent enough. Check that is you have at-spi installed,
you also have the at-spi-devel rpm installed.

And if you still have problems, try posting the error message you get
when the configure script bombs out. That might help somebody pinpoint
your problem more accurately.

> How do I get these needed dependancies without going through the murderous
> task of compiling gnome latest from source?

Well, there is a chicken and egg problem here. At some point, the
developers have to move forwards, which may require breaking some
compatibility with older libraries. If you are trying to build
gnopernicus from CVS, you may well need to build some other things from
CVS as well, since current development in CVS is aimed at GNOME 2.4, not
GNOME 2.2.

>  Is there any rpm packages in the near future? It's getting frustrating
> playing can you catch up with the dependancies just to build and install
> the software.

Well, to be fair, the expectation is that if you are building from CVS,
you have a very up to date system (i.e. including possibly some other
things from CVS). There used to be a concerted effort to have reasonable
rpm spec files in CVS for all modules. However, enthusiasm for this has
waned a bit over the last year and a half. Some packages have good spec
files, other have spec files that need to be hit with hammers a bit to
make them work, others don't have any. The main problem is that
distributions tend to roll their own spec files, so they are not
affected by what is in the tarball and writing truly portable files is
not something that anybody has taken the time to do recently.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.