problems with DECtalk driver for Gnome-speech

Hi.  I am trying to use the DECtalk software speech synthesizer with
Gnome-speech.  During the compile I get the following warnings

dectalkspeaker.c
dectalkspeaker.c: In function `dectalk_say':
dectalkspeaker.c:126: warning: unused variable `result'
dectalkspeaker.c: In function `dectalk_set_rate':
dectalkspeaker.c:203: warning: unused variable `result'
dectalkspeaker.c: In function `dectalk_set_pitch':
dectalkspeaker.c:218: warning: unused variable `result'
dectalkspeaker.c: In function `dectalk_set_voice':
dectalkspeaker.c:233: warning: unused variable `result'
I do get a driver, but it has the following problems.
If I use the callback test in test-speech, I hear "command error in
string" before and after the text is spoken.
If I try to use any DECtalk voice in Gnopernicus I will hear "command
error in string" before and after any text spoken by Gnopernicus.

Does anyone know what might be happening and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
          Kenny