Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - gok

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 05:20:55PM +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 16:49, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> > On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 01:03:03AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > For a while, this was going to be Try/Cancel/OK. I don't remember when it
> > was changed to Apply/Cancel/OK, but I'm pretty sure I flamed someone about
> > it.
>
> Yeah, we had Try/Cancel/OK in there originally, but IIRC it was changed
> (somewhat hastily, as you point out) because people complained it was
> too similar to the much-loathed
> Try-Revert-Apply-OK-Close-Cancel-MakeTheTea buttons that gnomecc used to
> have :) . . .

First, I never had a MakeTheTea button; probably another damn Debian patch.

Second, I demand the option to switch the MakeTheTea button into a
MakeTheCoffee button. I'm pretty sure tea was outlawed under the Patriot Act,
for who but a redcoat collaborator would drink tea? Or is it Cafe au Lait
that's been outlawed? Well, maybe a cafe con leche or a latte is still ok.

Another thing, given the options of MakeTheTea and MakeTheCoffee, the
default should be MakeTheCoffee. There is a standard coffee pot protocol
defined in RFC 2324 ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt ), but there
is no standard teapot protocol.

freedesktop.org should probably see to drafting a teapot protocol for
immediate use where not forbidden by law. (I guess they'll need an overseas
server now.) Please, let's not make another hokey URI scheme, like "teapot://",
before the teapot protocol is recognized by the IETF.

We'll need an alert to handle the HTCPCP 418 error. I think it should look
something like this:

|  /!\   <b>HOSTNAME is a teapot.</b>                            |
|  """   You can brew tea for now, cancel your order, or change  |
|        your preference in the beverage control panel.          |
|             [ Change Preference... ]  [Cancel ] [[ Brew Tea ]] |

If we ever get support for section 2.5.5 of RFC 1288
( http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1288.html#sec-2.5.5 ), then the beverage
control panel should incorporate any needed settings and be renamed
appropriately.

BTW, why is this MakeTheWhatever instead of "Make Whatever" or better still
"Brew Whatever"? Does this have something to do with Java?

>   . . . Personally I'd be happy enough to switch it back, I don't think
> any other GNOME apps really follow this model at the moment anyway so
> now would be a good time...

GnomeChat uses OK/Cancel, but I've not seen the triple espresso anywhere.

Cheers,
Greg