Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - gok

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 01:03:03AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#instant-apply
> > > Sigh.
> > >
> > > I just explained that this dialog cannot be instant-apply.
> >
> > Sigh++. It tells us what to do if instant-apply isn't appropriate.
>
> Ahr, I just found this too. Interesting that the HIG team chose
> Apply/Cancel/OK instead of Apply/Revert/Close. I will bring this up on
> usability list at some stage, to see why it was done like that.

For a while, this was going to be Try/Cancel/OK. I don't remember when it
was changed to Apply/Cancel/OK, but I'm pretty sure I flamed someone about it.

With Try/Cancel/OK, Cancel discards all changes since the dialog was opened.

With Apply/Cancel/OK, Cancel discards only those changes since Apply was last
clicked. This is what Apply means on Windows (and surely elsewhere),
changing its meaning would be ungood.

Try is undoable (though not piecewise), Apply is not.

You can see the change to the HIG was incomplete because an Apply button
is discussed in the section but the description of Cancel still refers to
a Try button.

Cheers,
Greg