Re: Talking daisy reader.

Hi Thomas:

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was out of town for a week.

You mention two possibilities: using C/C++ with gnome-speech, or
Java with JSAPI.  However you can write to gnome-speech from Java
also, and in fact the Java client bindings to gnome-speech's
Bonobo-based API are much prettier than the C bindings and C++ bindings.

If you used gnome-speech, there is less likelihood of conflict between
the Daisy reader and other voice clients on the desktop, since gnome-speech
is a service API specifically designed to support multiple simultaneous
clients.

Personally I think writing this in Java using gnome-speech as the speech
back-end would be the easiest and cleanest approach.

best regards,

-Bill