Re: som questions about gnopernicus

Hello, Roberto.
I have placed my comments below in your message for easier reading.

----- Original Message -----
From: Roberto Burceni <roberto burceni tiflomedia it>
To: <gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 3:40 AM
Subject: som questions about gnopernicus

> Hi all,
> I'm an italian  blind user and i have installed gnopernicus with the
debian
> package. I installed the sarge distribution. When I start x windows it
> starts. I tried to start Ghopernicus and it starts but it don't read
> anythig.

Ok, Roberto. The problem is you have not turned gnome accessibility
interface on. You must do this inorder for gnopernicus to read the screen.
For every user which needs the accessibility interface do the following:

1. log in as the user.
2. Get a shell prompt or terminal window.
3. Enter the command:
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true
4. Start x windows, and gnopernicus.

> I have some questions:
> 1 - Can Gnopernicus start automatically when x windows start?

Yes, gnopernicus can be made to do this. You need to create a file called
session-manual in your .gnome2 directory, and enter some commands in there
to load gnopernicus. You can also create a startup session for gnopernicus
in gnome-control-center.
If you wish I can email you my session-manual file which you can copy in to
your .gnome2 directory, and will have speech on startup.

> 2 - Which braille displays are supported in brltty api?
> I installed brltty 3.3 but I don't' know how Gnoperncus use brltty api.

The brltty api has some documentation on how to do this. There are others on
this list who are more familiar with the brltty api, and I'll leave it up to
them to answer this question in more detail.

> 3 - Are there variables to set to use gnome 2.2 with gopernicus?

Yes, you need to set the gnconf key which I mentioned above. You also will
need to add lines to the .orbitrc if you plan to use java applications in
gnome 2.2 with gnopernicus.

> 4 - What can Ido to install viavoice with Gnoperncus?

Well, I don't recommend Viavoice simply because there is no longer support
from IBM for it, and it hasn't been maintained for a long time.
However, I suspect you should be able to use alien on the Viavoice RTK rpm,
install the debian package alien created, rebuild gnome-speech, run test
speech, and if everything works ok your set.