jhbuild failing - why?

The following is generated when I run autogen.sh (either by hand or
implicitly by jhbuild) from the gnome-icon-theme directory. This happens
when I build other modules too, such as libxslt...  Anyone know what's going
on? I did a jhbuild bootstrap and let it download and build all the tools it
couldn't find.  What is this aclocal and aclocal_path?

Thanx in advance for any assistance...

---------------
Running glib-gettextize
Copying file po/Makefile.in.in

Please add the files
  codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
  progtest.m4
from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

Running intltoolize
patching file po/Makefile.in.in
/opt/gnome2/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
checking for autoconf >= 2.53...
  testing autoconf2.50... not found.
  testing autoconf... found.
checking for automake >= 1.4...
  testing automake-1.4... found.
checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
  testing glib-gettextize... found.
checking for intltool >= 0.25...
  testing intltoolize... found.
Checking for required M4 macros...
  glib-gettext.m4 not found
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build gnome-icon-theme
  were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
  macros were found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your
  ACLOCAL_PATH?