gnome-2.3, gnome-speech, and dectalk RT problems

Hi all
Well, finally did it. Gnome 2.3 is compiled and running on my system, in
directory /opt/gnome-2.3. Compiled it with jhbuild, all went well. Now,
however, I have a problem. My dectalk RT is installed in its default
location /usr/local. When configuring gnome-speech, it finds the dectalk
and builds the drivers. However, when I go to activate the gnome-speech
test program and select dectalk as my server, I get:
no server selected
As if it can't find it. Festival works fine. Can anyone help here?