Re: Compile errors (was Re: Accessibility of Gnome panel / How to end session via keyboard)

Le Mercredi 9 Juillet 2003 07:03, John Zitterkopf a écrit :

> However, I still have more work to do:
> 1) I need to figure out how to use PATCH and the .spec files
> correctly. How does one apply multiple patches to the same source
> tree with the patch utility? How does one use the Mandrake included
> gnome-panel.spec files to apply these patches? Again; lack of
> documentation or a how to is preventing me from actually using the
> files properly.

Maybe http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html can be of
help. I can't help you more, I'm a debian-user.

> 2) I manually edited menu.c with vi and put Padraig's patch to
> enable the "hot key" L for logout... but it didn't work. More on
> this in a separate thread.
>
> Things I learned:
>
> 1) gnome-panel sources are not included with the downloadable ISOs.
> Finding the correct source RPM isn't trivial / easy.
> (unfortunately, I didn't write down the WWW site I found the source
> code at).

no need for www, this ftp mirror should be enough

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/SRPMS/
or
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake/9.1/SRPMS

> 2) Don't fake the .pc files. They are usually included in similarly
> named lib*-devel packages on Disk 2 of the 9.1 ISOs. (a few are on
> disk 1). There are a lot of *-devel packages that are needed to get
> the necessary .pc files... many of these packages require other
> packages which leads to further RPM hell...
> 3) RPM dependencies are evil ... There has to be a better way.

apt-get :-) (half kidding only, I think some have it working with
rpms)
for Mandrake, urpmi is the way to go (I gave a www url in a previous
post)

> 4) Note to self: Learn how to use .spec files to install the
> patches in the correct order to the source tree. Anyone have some
> tips / pointers in the right direction?

I think numbering the patch tags as explained in the first link I gace
should work, but I never tried.

Good luck !

Bernard