Re: newbie:"E-mail and websurfing with Gnopernicus?"

----- Original Message -----
To: "Kari Ojala" <kari ojala iki fi>
Cc: <gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: newbie:"E-mail and websurfing with Gnopernicus?"

> > Is the Gnopernicus so functional at the moment that one could use e-mail
> > and web-surfing? I'm looking for an alternative for my Win95 system,
> > which is not as reliable as I would wish.

I wouldn't recommend it at this time. At this point Gnopernicus is still pre
1.0 state, and it's got a ways to go before it ranks with Jaws, window eyes,
or the other screen readers you are use to using.

> > I'm partially sighted and use my Windows computer with JAWS screen
> > reader and ZoomText magnification program. Many years ago I did
> > programming with Basic, Assembly and Pascal, but nowadays I don't even
> > know the tools used to develop programs. I'd be happy to help
> > Gnopernicus development though.

Well, Gnopernicus is written in C,  and every Linux programmer I know uses
gcc to compile the code. In terms of compilers I've found gcc to be more
stable and a better compiler than Visual C++, and some of the others for
Windows.
If you want to get back into programming check out:
www.blindprogramming.com

there you will find free etext books, mailing lists, and other things for
those of us with blind and low vision problems.