[Fwd: Re: Building at-spi from CVS]

After answering Tuck privately, I thought perhaps my comments would be
of broader interest.  So I am forwarding these (incomplete) comments on
building at-spi from CVS to the list.

These comments are by no means a cookbook, but they might help someone
get partway there.

best regards,

Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 18:29, Carl Tuck Hartshorn wrote:
> Bill, I hate to ask a stupid question but I have not built a package from
> CVS, at least one that did not include a 'configure' already.
> What is (are) the needed steps before being able to run 'make'?
> So far, ./autogen.sh
> sort of works but I get far too many errors.

If you get errors at that point, they are probably all telling you
something important.

You need certain tools in order to build GNOME 2.2, and you need certain
developer packages that might not already be part of the distributions
you installed.

If you've never done a CVS build before, I would recommend using
something a little easier like GARNOME or jhbuild or another
distribution technique.

jhbuild might be the easiest way to do it that is CVS-based.  If you
check out 'jhbuild' from gnome cvs, you can modify the script to build
the version of the gnome modules you want.  However it will build pretty
much *all* of gnome, so it can take awhile, etc. The advantage is that a
GNOME-2.2 system built that way can be installed alongside your regular
GNOME system, you can switch between them, instead of overwriting your
regular GNOME installation.

you can view the README for jhbuild, before checking it out of cvs, at
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/jhbuild/README

also the link for GARNOME is
http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/

I usually just build without either, by hand, but I've been doing this
awhile.  jhbuild will at least automatically check, download, build, and
install the correct versions of the tools like automake, autoconf, etc.
which are needed to build GNOME.

I would also recommend using the cvs tag "gnome_2_2" for most modules
(in the case of gtk+ and glib it might be "gtk_2_2, I am not sure),
since that way you get the "stable" versions rather than versions that
are actively being hacked on.

If you want, you can modify jhbuild so that it installs into the "same
place" as your existing GNOME-2.2 build, then only build the modules you
need, for instance gnopernicus.  Or you can use jhbuild to test and make
sure your build environment is sane, and then go back to using
'./autogen.sh' by hand.

I think that just running 'jhbuild bootstrap' successfully might be
enough to get you past many of the autogen errors.  If autogen is
complaining that it can't find the right versions of various GNOME
libraries and packages, it's probably right, which means that either:

* it can't find them because something's configured funny
	(pay attention to the autogen.sh options), or

* it can't find them because your GNOME distribution either didn't
	include them or includes versions that are too old.
	IN the second case, you must install the newer versions
	of the dependencies first of course, which may mean following
	the dependency chain down until you can successfully
	cvs checkout, autogen, make, and make install the modules.

Good luck!

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>

--- End Message ---