Gnopernicus problems

My apologies if these are common issues, and I haven't spotted them in
the mailing list archives. They've been happening for months now,
though, and I've only recently decided to really attempt to resolve
them.

I'm running Debian, with gnome 2.2 packages installed. Additionally, I
have gail, atk, at-spi, etc. compiled from CVS as of a week or two
ago, but this problem has persisted regardless of which versions of
these packages I've used.

I've fetched gnopernicus, compiled it, then followed the directions at
http://tux31.homelinux.net/linux/inst_gnome2_accessibility.htm with a
few modifications (I'm running emacspeak from within gnome, so I added
the environment variables to my .cshrc instead.) I also modified my
gnome configs to enable accessibility settings. Running gnopernicus
produces the following in my shell window:

GTK Accessibility Module initialized
About to register application
Application registered & listening
Bonobo accessibility support initialized
Atk Accessibilty bridge initialized

**********************
* SCREEN READER CORE *
**********************

GTK Accessibility Module initialized
About to register application
Application registered & listening
Bonobo accessibility support initialized
Atk Accessibilty bridge initialized

**MESSAGE**
	speech initialization failed

** ERROR **: Can't encode unknown type -1073746568
aborting...
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
About to register application
Application registered & listening
Bonobo accessibility support initialized
Atk Accessibilty bridge initialized

** (srcore:26680): WARNING **: : invalid CORBA_TCKind, lkind=65801

** (srcore:26680): WARNING **: : invalid CORBA_TCKind, lkind=65801

** (srcore:26680): WARNING **: : invalid CORBA_TCKind, lkind=65801

A few notes are in order:

1.  Speech didn't work for quite some time. Then, a few weeks back,
    festival started working for some odd reason. Now it fails, and
    this failure message is new (it didn't appear before when speech
    didn't work.)

2.  The unknown type error has always occurred. The srcore warnings in
    the end are new, though (they appeared with the "speech
    initialization failed" message.)

3.  An error window pops up. I'm using sawfish with its speech
    enhancements, so I know that the window's title is "Error," but
    nothing else. This error window also appeared when gnopernicus was
    speaking a few weeks ago, though unfortunately I knew little about
    how to navigate, and wasn't able to read its contents. I also
    wasn't able to use many of gnopernicus' features (I.e. menus and
    such).

How do I go about debugging this? How can I determine why speech
initialization is failing? I've never needed to debug a graphical app
before; is it somehow possible to get more detailed information
without needing to read the contents of the error window which
appears?

Thanks.