Where has that little gnome gone? How old is he?

In my attempt to install the java access bridge, it appears I need to
point the autogen.sh to gnome and java's SDK.  I know where the SDK is
but the 'which' command doesn't tell me where the gnome files are
located on an up-to-date Debian Sid system.  I note that in the example,
that there should be a directory that indicates what version. i.e.

        ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome-2.0 --with-java-home

Despite my sense of humour, I'd really appreciate any help in
constructing these command line variables to establish where has my little
gnome gone?

Using the freedom of Debian GNU Linux