From: "Angie Matney" <matneyar vcu edu>
To: "Discussion List for the National Alliance of Blind Students"
<nabs blindstudents org>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 5:19 PM
Subject: [Nabs] New BlindMath group

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just created a new group on smartgroups for those interested in issues
pertaining to math and blindness.  I tried to creat
> the group on yahoo, but they are now requiring a graphical verification
code even to create a group! (I suggest you all
> contact customer service to protest this.)
>
> Here is more information about the group, which I created in response to
discussions on this and other lists:

> This group is a place where interested persons can discuss all issues
related to blindness/visual impairment and math.
> Topics for discussion include (but are not limited to) sources for
accessible texts, information about tactile and auditory
> graphing programs, suggestions for insuring that math lectures are
accessible to blind students, and strategies used by
> blind math instructors.  Anyone with an interest in this topic is free to
join this group and contribute to the discussions.
> Some people believe that math is a "visual" subject and thus should be
avoided by blind people.  My former
> rehabilitation counselor believed this, and it was difficult for me to get
resources as a math major.  I've since gotten an
> M.S. in math, and I taught college-level math for five years.  I'm not
unique or exceptional; there are many others with

--
Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org