Re: How should at-spi be turned on?

Hi Bill, Padraig:

The first thing that comes to mind for a run-time change in gtk+-only
programs is to use XSETTINGS. I don't know what that would look like to
allow each program to load the correct modules.

But my reason for playing with at-poke may be a reason to always load the
modules. Last time I saw platform-wide GUI scripting discussed, use of AT
was suggested as the way to do this. Using AT would should solve at least
two problems "GNOMEScript" would have. As it's in the libraries and
should already provide complete functional coverage, there's no need for
extra work to support scripting. (AppleScript had this problem, afaik.)
Because AT should be working regardless of where the X clients are running,
there's no need for another rendevous layer like ICE's.

Perhaps this is abuse of GConf, but mightn't apps needing AT toggle the
setting when run? How does that work when the gconf sources are on
different hosts? (I haven't seen mention of cross-host GConf use.)
If apps needing AT changing the flag is OK, which should the change be:
to increment and decrement, or to just turn it on and leave it on?

Thanks, Bill and Padraig, for the information. I'll now be poking around
to see what scripting support might look like.

Cheers,
Greg