How should at-spi be turned on?

Hi.

I was playing with at-poke and since it didn't find any of my running gtk
apps, I took a look at the source.

I see that before running gtk-demo it sets the GTK_MODULES environment
variable. How is at-spi supposed to work for already running applications?

Do I need to set GTK_MODULES when logging in?

I see there has been discussion of this on g-a-d and g-a-l, but I didn't
find a conclusion. Also, I don't see any mention of this in the user, admin,
or accessibility guides at http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/ .

Cheers,
Greg