Re: How should at-spi be turned on?

Subject: Re: How should at-spi be turned on?
To: merchan baton phys lsu edu

Greg,

The attached mail from Bill Haneman last September should answer your question.

Padraig

> Hi.
>
> I was playing with at-poke and since it didn't find any of my running gtk
> apps, I took a look at the source.
>
> I see that before running gtk-demo it sets the GTK_MODULES environment
> variable. How is at-spi supposed to work for already running applications?
>
> Do I need to set GTK_MODULES when logging in?
>
> I see there has been discussion of this on g-a-d and g-a-l, but I didn't
> find a conclusion. Also, I don't see any mention of this in the user, admin,
> or accessibility guides at http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/ .
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

--- Begin Message ---
Hi:

It's come to my attention that some folks are unsure about the gconf key
used to enable loading of the GNOME accessibility libraries.  At the
moment this key doesn't have a user-visible dialog or checkbox for
activation, so in order to use it, you need to run gconftool-2 (or
perhaps gconf-editor).

gconftool-2 --help

will give some usage information

gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility

will report the current status of the 'accessibility' key; and

gconftool-2 -s -t boolean /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true

will set the value to "true".

The alternate method of enabling accessibility, via the GTK_MODULES
environment variable, is not recommended generally and is maintained
only for use by "pure gtk+" programs that don't know about gconf or call
gnome_init.

best regards,

Bill