Re: X without a monitor?!

Buddy:

The errors you report from X make it sounds as though X hasn't been
configured on your machine.  Not too surprising.  But as I said before
it's quite likely that the machine _is_ capable of running the X server
and has some kind of framebuffer even if there's no monitor connected to
it.

If your machine has a video output connector of any kind, then it has
all the hardware you need.  But configuring X on your machine might be
difficult without sighted assistance, if the initial Linux/OS install
did not detect your hardware correctly.  This of course is a problem
that needs solving, if that's the case.

The program usually run from the command-line to configure the X display
is called "xconfigurator".  But I would recommend instead that you ask
around other people with your same make and model of computer (including
graphics subsystem, if you have those specs), and copy their
(known-to-be-working) "XF86Config" file to /etc/X11/XF86Config.  It's
fairly common for Linux people to trade these files around based on
their hardware configuration.

regards,

Bill

--