Re: Festival server

----- Original Message -----
From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak chartermi net>
To: <gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: Festival server

> This doesn't make sense to me.
> This export variable already is in one or two files; why would i need to
do it
> again?

You wouldn't have to set it again. I had assumed perhaps that you hadn't
included it any where, and to try it as a possible solution.

> I also frankly don't understand why you want me to start festival before
> starting x when it is started in my xinitrc?
> Please explain.

Again you don't have to if you already have it in your .xinitrc. Again I'm
not there, and can't say what is or is not in your files. So and am merely
trying to chase down where the problem is.

> Frankly, I'm quite frustrated. I know this is the testing stage, but there
ought
> to be ways to install this system reliably and track down errors instead
of this
> weird hit-and-miss trial of stuff!!!

Gnopernicus, gnome-speech, etc isn't at a testing stage. everything  is what
you see is what you get.
At this point is geared for developers, and serious hackers who doesn't mind
playing around with unstable code, and hoping to see how the software is
progressing or wants to lend a hand in coding.
I myself would probably also be coding, but I'd like to see the code become
more stable before doing any coding myself.

> Here is exactly what I get when I start x re: festival. By the way, if I
start
> the server before running startx I usually end up with some kind of socket
bind
> error during the startx.

That's because your .xinitrc file is attempting to load the festival server
for a second time when it is already running. Don't load festival before
startx and you will be fine.

> Here's what I get when I just run startx:
>
> * SCREEN READER CORE *
> **********************
>
> Activation of server OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Viavoice:proto0.2
fail\
> ed.
> Activation of server OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.2
fail\
> ed.
> ** Speech initialization failed.
> server    Thu Nov 14 09:45:50 2002 : Festival server started on port 1314

Obviously gnopernicus isn't making a connection with your speech server.
Have you tried the test-speech tool that comes with gnome-speech to make
sure that gnome-speech can connect with your synth?

> I admit there could also be problems with my X setup (almost certainly!),
but
> frankly I'm
> disappointed that I post errors and warnings to this list and nobody seems
> have the faintest idea what they mean.

As someone who knows a little programming with c, java, etc sometimes it
takes quite a while to locate errors in code and locate what is causing the
problems. Not to mention most of us are using different versions of
software, different Linux distributions, and that can complicate the issue.
In actuality developing a piece of software is easy. Debugging it and
cleaning up the code can be harder.

> Either there aren't developers on this list or they don't seem to know how
their
> program works (or doesn't work). this is ridiculous; I have spent HOURS on
this
> program. It's testing so I expect to put forth some effort, but I also
expect
> somebody to be able to tell me what might be wrong and what to try and
whether
> warnings and errors I get are significant and if so what to do about them.
> This is more like Russian roulette than testing!!!
> A HUGE amount of work is going to have to be done before most linux users
in
> need of speech or braille (what teensy bit of braille there is!) will
bother
> with it. I enjoy challenges, but this is starting to fit into my
waste-of-time
> category. I'm asking myself:  do i really want a GUI this  badly?

Cheryl by the time gnopernicus is ready for prime time there will be nice
rpm and dpkg and tgz packages of it around that will have been fully tested,
stable code,  and the majority won't have to deal with the frustration that
we all feel when the cvs code doesn't work as expected.