further along running gnopernicus; progress and problems

First of all, is there any way to get control back when you've run startx and
keyboard input apparently isn't doing anything. control-backspace isn't working.
Have had to turn off the computer cold twice; hasn't dammaged my system but i
don't like it.

Got past the cf-cache problem once I got the paths right in .bash_profile. got
rid of a lot of errors.
I my still have to reconfigure the xserver--took some guesses--and still don't
know about the mouse.
One of the times when I locked up, I had run startx >x.txt 2>&1
so I got the output. It's quite repetitious but I'll try to give you the main
points.

Viavoice and festival failed; don't have viavoice anyway but don't know why
festival failed; botom line, speech initialization failed.
lots of warnings about CORBA_ORB_destroy: same as when I ran the command to
enable accessibility.
Got a window manager warning that screen 0 o display ":0.0" already has a window
manager.

This is mixed in with all the corba orb and orb warnings.
some warnings from gnome-panel that maybe can wait until I get the rest sorted
out.

lots of notations of various folders being reloaded.
A lot of externally watching phrases (some of this is uppercase.
The reloading and externally watching seem to be repeated for folders more than
once.
Some warnings about unable to monitor xml document. involved gnome-panel and
nautilus.

But here's the clincher:
X: user not authorized to run the x server, aborting.
After that there was one more warning from gnome-panel about XML; I assume X
aborted but something else didn't and I couldn't do anything with my system
without turning it off.
Any suggestions?
I need to get festival to run so i know what's going on--festival does work on
my system by the way just not with gnopernicus and gnome.
I also need to figure out why I'm not authorized to run the X server; seems like
these would be two big steps at the moment.

Cheryl