Re: gnopernicus and festival are working for me

Hi Bill,

I am puzzled about why it is now working for me. Here is what I
did to make it work:

I created a new account on my system and copied some
initialization files from the one I have been using routinely to
the new one. The only files relevant to the Gnopernicus situation
were ".profile" and ".xinitrc". I copied them from the old
account to the new one without making any changes. Then I typed
"startx" and it spoke to me. It never did so on the old account.

I see one problem already. I am using the speakup patches to the
kernel in order to get speech access to the text consoles. Those
patches use a keymap that dedicates the numeric keypad to screen
review functions. When Gnome is running, that keymap is still
active, and I cannot use the keypad to control Gnopernicus. What
I did was to move about the Gnome screen with the true cursor
keys to hear the festival speech announcing different objects on
the desktop.

I have not had a lot of experience playing with keymaps and am
reluctant to experiment without knowing what I am doing.

Chuck