Re: Need help installing Gnome 2 and Gnopernicus

Hi Nath,

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 08:10, Nath wrote:
> Then in a console I run for example gnome-panel or another app. in another
> console I run gnopernicus. No errors appear in the two consoles

	Promising so far,

> Then I
> switch to the graphic console by typing ctrl-alt-f7. at this point Marc
> told me that normally Gnopernicus will speak. But nothing, no speech at
> all. Unfortunatly I'm totally blind then I can't tell you what is writen on
> the screen.

	Ok; it's possible you're inches from getting it working. You need to
ensure that accessibility is enabled for the desktop.

	One of the best ways to do this is to export GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1
before you run anything - ensure you run bonobo-slay before doing that
to make sure bonobo-apps get it. Alternatively [ since the env-var ways
are pretty ugly ] there is a better way:

$ gconftool --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility 1

	This will set the global gconf key for accessibility to on, and ensure
that all new gnome applications, whether bonobo activated or not will
turn up with accessibility enabled.

	Since a11y imposes some marginal performance penalty, it is not enabled
by default in the default builds.

	Let us know if you get it working, oh, and when you are confidant you
probably want to use Gnome 2.0.1 - updated versions of many packages
exist, which improve accessibility, performance, robustness, and
key-navigability-wise.

	Regards,

		Michael.