Re: KEYNAV:GtkMenubBar And Accessibility (bug 53543)

Padraig O'Briain wrote:

> In bug 53544 you requested that when a submenu has focus, pressing Esc should
> unpost only that submenu, and give focus back to that menu's parent menu item.
> (Currently all the open menus and submenus are unposted)
>
> As we are not now allowing a menu item to have focus without the submenu being
> posted, do you still want a change in this behavior?

Well, I think it's important that there is a shortcut available that
only unposts the submenu, and gives focus back to its parent menu item.
Left arrow should certainly do this-- my gut feeling is that Esc should
do the same (and I'm pretty sure that's how it works on Windows).  But I
could maybe be persuaded that Esc should unpost the whole hierarchy, if
anyone feels strongly about it.

The scenario where this functionality is important is when somebody
knows the menu item they're looking for is on a submenu, but can't
remember which one.  Or when they're just browsing the menu structure of
a new application for the first time.  The left-arrow functionality
mentioned above allows you to browse the sub-menus on a main menu fairly
painlessly with the keyboard.  Unposting the whole menu structure every
time at least doubles the required effort.

Cheeri,
Calum.