Re: Accessible Name

Hi Padraig ,

> Is there a consenus on this?
>
> If there is, I will update the document and make sure that the code reflects
> this.
>
> Is one consequence of this that AtkText interface will be implemented on
> GailItem?
>
> Does this mean that we do not need GailLabel at all?
>
> Does this also apply to GailStatusbar, i.e. instead of exposing the label as a
> child of GailStatusbar the text on the label will be the name of the
> statusbar.

Yes, I think in virtually all cases (and perhaps all), we should hide label
children/progeny and expose their label text as the AccessibleName of their
appropriate ancestor.  This simplifies screen access logic dramatically, and
makes for a clean separation of responsibility (what the widget/application must
provide vs. the screen access product ferret out).

We may well want GailLabel however.  It depends upon how GtkLabel is used.  If
it's ever used as a top-level bit of static text, then we definitely need
GailLabel.

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibiliy team