Re: Accessible Name

Hi Padraig,

> The ATK Widget implementation proposal at
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/tech-docs/GTK-impl.html
> contains proposal for Accessible Name.
>
> For instance for GtkItem we have
>
> If child widget is a label, the accessible name is considered to be the text
> of this label. Otherwise, the GtkItem widget is considered nameless.
>
> I would like to make sure we are as one on what this means.
>
> What effect will atk_object_set_name() have for a GailItem?
>
> Will it set the accessible name whoich then be returned by
> atk_object_get_name()?
>
> Does the description above describe what will happen if atk_object_set_name()
> has not been called?

That's my understanding of the intention.  A developer can always explicitly set
the AccessibleName they want their widget to have, overriding whatever the
widget would otherwise scavenge.  If not explicitly set, however, the widget
will scavenge one as appropriate (in this case from the label of the GtkItem).

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team