[g-a-devel] CSPI finally dropped, use libatspi instead

Hi,

Just sharing with all the people one of the conclusions of the last meeting (minutes not available yet).

Some months ago Mike Gorse changed how python at-spi2 bindings are created, so now there is a core C library called libatspi, and pyatspi2 is created based on gobject introspection.

That means that now we have a library based on C to access at-spi2 (thanks Mike). So if anyone want to create a C AT, in theory he can use libatspi.

*But*, libatspi is not fully API compatible with CSPI. Mike proposed that it could be possible to create a intermediate compatibility layer. But we concluded that it doesn't worth.

That means that any existing C-SPI based app that wants to be compatible with at-spi2, needs to be migrated to libatspi, so it is possible that this "doesn't worth" is wrong, but for the moment this is the current plan.

In related news:
* As it is based on gobject introspection, Joseph will investigate if it is possible to call those methods using javascript. We already call atk methods on gnome-shell, so we are positive on it. * Status of libatspi documentation is not enough (IMHO) to ask upload it to http://developer.gnome.org/references. We'll try to sort it soon. * CCed Patrick, as Dasher migration to work with at-spi2 is still pending, we hope that this would help. * CCed Eitan, as on his last work with Caribou, he is moving some parts of Caribou to C

[1] http://monotonous.org/2011/04/26/caribou-week-2/

--
API