Re: [g-a-devel] ANNOUNCE: at-spi2 0.4.0 released

On Tue, September 28, 2010 6:52 am, Mike Gorse wrote:
> By adding at-spi support, you mean that you want to support setting the
> configuration keys used by at-spi?
>
> Currently, there is a gconf key to enable accessibility
> (/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility) and also keys that enable
> at-spi2:
> If at-spi2 is built with --enable-relocate, then
> /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-dbus enables it.
> If at-spi2 is built with --disable-relocate, then
> /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba disables it.
>
> However, gconf is being deprecated for GNOME 3.0, which means that all of
> this will need to be handled by gsettings instead in the future, and I'm
> not sure if someone has decided on key names to use for gsettings yet
> <making mental note to try to resolve this at the hakfest next week>.
>
> Anyway, I don't know if that is the question you were asking, so let us
> know if not.

I'm not sure now myself :-)

>From the reading I have one it seems like it is a way to interact with the
speech interface and other AT tools.

The wizard is designed for blind/deaf and mobility impaired users. It
currently calls spd-say for every user/button action and when it has some
text that needs to be communicated. I was intending to add at-spi support
as an option in the next dev phase.

All the settings are managed with gconf where possible and/or written
directly to file where gconf is not available. I was not aware of the move
to gsettings but will keep and eye on it from now on. I will appreciate if
you can relay any info you hear about the development in relation to a11y
settings.

I can send you a pre-release tarball if you want to get a better idea.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.

>>> http://download.gnome.org/sources/at-spi2-core/0.4/
>>> http://download.gnome.org/sources/at-spi2-atk/0.4/
>>>

>>> Notes
>>> =====
>>>
>>> A list of work required before the full release can be found at:
>>>
>>> http://www.a11y.org/atspi-todo
>>>
>>> At-spi2 0.4.0 is functionally equivalent to at-spi2 0.3.92.
>>> This version of at-spi2 should be technically usable, but there are
>>> still
>>> serious performance issues to be worked out.
>>> Relocation is still on by default, but I plan on changing this again in
>>> git
>>> head for GNOME 3.0.
>>>

>>> What is AT-SPI2
>>> ===============
>>>
>>> AT-SPI2 is a D-Bus based accessibility framework. It defines a D-Bus
>>> protocol for providing and accessing application accessibility
>>> information. The project includes a library for bridging the D-Bus
>>> protocol to the ATK API, allowing Gtk based applications to be made
>>> accessible. It also contains a client (AT) side library in Python.
>>>

>>> Where can I get more information about AT-SPI2
>>> ==============================================
>>>
>>> The project wiki is available at:
>>>
>>> http://www.a11y.org/d-bus
>>>

>>> How can I contribute to AT-SPI2?
>>> ================================
>>>
>>> We are actively seeking contributors to help us make this the standard
>>> a11y framework for Gnome. We need help testing with Gnome accessibility
>>> technologies, improving performance, and generally tying up loose ends.
>>> The above-referenced page contains a list of known issues that should
>>> be
>>> fixed.
>>>
>>> IRC   : #a11y on Gimpnet
>>> E-Mail: accessibility-atspi lists linux-foundation org
>>>
>>> Development repositories can be found at:
>>>
>>> git://git.gnome.org/pyatspi2
>>> git://git.gnome.org/at-spi2-core
>>> git://git.gnome.org/at-spi2-atk